We understand that dental emergencies can happen unexpectedly and that is why we offer emergency dentist appointments outside normal hours including some Saturdays.
If you are in dental pain, you are in an emergency dental situation and you should see a dentist as soon as possible. At Island Dental we endeavour to see emergency dental patients with priority. When a dental infection is left untreated, it can spread to other parts of the face, neck, head and lead to serious health issues.
The treatment options available for dental pain are:
- Removal of the tooth or Extractions
- Gum Treatment or Periodontal Treatment
- Root Canal Treatment
We will need to discuss your dental history and examine you first in order to determine the cause of the pain before treating you. This may involve x-rays and other tests on your mouth, gums, jaw, throat or sinuses.
Dental emergencies, what you need to know and do
Stay calm and act quickly
- Seek dental advice as soon as possible after the injury.
- Seek medical advice if the person has been unconscious or has non-dental cuts or fractures.
A tooth is knocked out
- Pick the tooth up by the crown. Try not to touch the root.
- If the tooth is dirty rinse it in milk or saline solution if available. If not, rinse briefly (only a few seconds) in water to remove dirt and debris.
- If the person is conscious, hold the clean tooth by the crown and put it back into place using the other teeth as a guide. Use light pressure only.
- Ask the patient to gently bite on a soft cloth to hold the tooth in place.
- Seek immediate dental advice.
- If you can’t find the tooth, take the patient to a dental professional while others continue to search.
- If found, put the tooth in milk (if possible) or seal in plastic wrap and take to the dental clinic immediately.
- Do not put a baby tooth back into the mouth.
- Most children under five years have baby teeth only.
- If in doubt, place the tooth in milk and take it and your child to seek dental advice.
- transport the tooth in water
- scrape or scrub the root surface
- allow the tooth to dry out
- delay seeking dental treatment/advice.
- Place any broken pieces of tooth in milk. Don’t let the pieces dry out.
- If milk is not available wrap in plastic wrap for transportation.
- Seek dental advice as soon as possible.
Find an Emergency Dentist in Hobart
If you have lost or cracked a tooth due to an accident or injury, you will need to seek out an emergency dentist in Hobart immediately. The sooner you visit a dental clinic, the better the chances of your medical needs not being too severe. If you require urgent dental care, let Island Dental take care of you.
Benefits of Emergency Dental Services
It may be challenging to determine whether you require emergency dental care or not. Sometimes you may think that you can wait until regular hours to visit a dentist, although by then, you may need more dental work than initially required. Here are a few benefits of receiving dental care as soon as possible.
- Immediate assistance. With emergency dental care, you will receive immediate assistance and avoid making an appointment and waiting in a reception area. If you are suffering from a toothache, the last thing you want to do is have to wait days for an appointment, then sit in pain in a room while waiting to see a dentist.
- Determining your dental needs. When you suffer from toothache or other dental problems, you may not know the cause. When visiting an emergency dentist, they will give you a clear picture of what the root cause of your problem is and how to proceed.
- Prevention of further dental problems. In cases such as losing a filling, many people think that they can wait until regular business hours to have their tooth filled again. However, by delaying, you will expose your tooth to new problems, such as dental decay, this could then lead to further complications and may result in having your tooth extracted.
There are many benefits to visiting an emergency dentist as soon as a dental emergency arises, and one should take advantage of this service.
What to Expect from Island Dental Regarding Emergency Dental Treatments
At Island Dental, we focus on our patients and strive to provide exceptional dental care. We have a fantastic group of health professionals who have many years of knowledge and experience to assist every patient that walks through our doors.
- Many years of knowledge. With our vast experience in the dental field, we can provide you with professional and exceptional dental work in any aspect of dentistry, whether routine or otherwise.
- We are more than an emergency dentist. Although we offer emergency dental care, we provide our patients with so much more, from cosmetic dentistry to preventative treatments and a welcoming atmosphere. Our patients feel at ease, knowing that we can assist them with a variety of dental needs.
- You can book your appointment online. To make seeing us convenient, we offer an online appointment booking service to save you time. Book an appointment with us and receive nothing less than the latest treatment technology and professional service.
About Island Dental
We have several years of experience in the industry and are happy to serve the Hobart community with excellent dental care. We take pride in offering high-quality care at affordable prices, so contact us today for an appointment.